Friday, November 5, 2010

The Details... Part 1

I don't even know where to begin.  The last 3 days have been a fury of activity, not at all how I had the week planned! So here is a recap of how it all unfolded...

Monday morning, J got up and headed to Orlando for a business trip.  At the last minute, his dad decided to go with him.  This is an annual trip and we usually all go and stay a few extra days for a vacation.  However, this year since we had no idea about a potential placement, I decided it would be best for us to stay at home.  My logic was that there was no way I was traveling with a newborn if we had her by then.  On the flip side, if we didn't have her, then I didn't want to make two extended stay trips in a short amount of time.  So on Monday my mind was spinning with the things I needed to get done that week, since H and I were home alone. 

Around 5 pm Monday afternoon, Courtney, our adoption consultant calls and tells me she has a baby girl who would be delivered around Nov 8th in Utah.  It was an agency pick, meaning the mom had chosen not to pick the family.  That agency had us in mind! At that point, she had not been given all the details, but anticipated receiving them on Tuesday. Naturally, I called J to give him a heads up.  His initial reaction was wondering if he needed to cut his trip short.  I told him I didn't think that would be necessary and to stay put. 

H had his last football practice that night.  After we got home and ate supper, we watched some TV.  I knew that I should do laundry, etc., just in case this was "the one".  However, I chose to put it in the back burner, I mean I had all week, right?

Tuesday I had no expectation of hearing from her until at least well into the afternoon.  I actually even felt like we might not know anything else until Wednesday.  So H & I were at our weekly co-op classes on Tuesday morning when my phone rang.  I immediately knew it was Courtney since I assigned her a special ring tone.  I just expected a brief update, but I got something completely different.  Courtney quickly told me that she didn't have an update yet, but had something else to run by me.  She had a baby girl in Florida who had just been born on Monday ( or so we thought).  She gave me very brief details but basically she had been exposed to some drug (Rx) use and this situation was a little over our budget.  The next sentence made my jaw drop.  She needed to know if we might be interested because it too was an agency pick and in her words, "If you want her, she's yours!"

To say my mind was racing 100 mile per hour is an understatement.  I told her I would make a quick call to J and see what he thought.  I looked at the clock and thought he would be in a meeting, so I gave sent him a text to call me ASAP.  After about 10 min he had not returned my call, and I realized it would be time for him to be at lunch.  So I quickly dialed his number and sure enough, they were out eating lunch.  We discussed to money and risk and decided unless we saw something medically that we were afraid of we were definitely interested.  Talk about being dizzy!

Well that set off a series of phone calls between Courtney, the adoption agency and myself.  And to add to the mayhem, I was texting family and friends for some fast and furious prayer.  We had no idea where in Florida she was to begin with.  But when the adoption agency called me they informed me she was near the Orlando area! What?  J was in Orlando all ready!  After several phone calls back and forth, within an hour or so, we knew this was our Hattie!  I needed to get home and started getting everything ready.

No comments: